Connect with us

News

31 US lawmakers praise Trump for reinstating Nigeria’s religious freedom watchlist status

Published

on

Spread the love

Thirty-one members of the United States Congress have commended President Donald Trump for reinstating Nigeria’s designation as a “Country of Particular Concern” (CPC), a status assigned to nations accused of severe violations of religious freedom.

The lawmakers described Trump’s decision as a “bold and moral step” to confront what they termed a growing Christian genocide in Africa’s most populous nation.

The commendation was contained in a joint statement issued on Tuesday by Rep. Robert Aderholt, Chairman of the House Values Action Team, and made available to journalists on Thursday.

In the statement, Aderholt said the move rekindled hope among Nigeria’s Christian population and reaffirmed America’s global commitment to defending freedom of worship.

“President Trump’s commitment to ending the Christian genocide in Nigeria and his decision to redesignate Nigeria as a Country of Particular Concern gives hope to the people of Nigeria,” he stated.

He added that terrorist groups in Nigeria had killed thousands of Christians annually, stressing that the United States “must lead the charge” in confronting such violence and protecting vulnerable religious communities.

House Majority Whip Tom Emmer hailed Trump’s stance, describing him as “a leader unafraid to defend people of faith.”

“God bless President Trump for standing up and protecting Christians around the globe. The United States finally has a leader unafraid to do what’s right,” Emmer said.

Republican Party Chair Lisa McClain also described the situation in Nigeria as “a moral outrage and a crime against humanity,” while Representatives Josh Brecheen, Mary Miller, and Mark Alford expressed support for tougher sanctions and increased U.S. pressure on those behind religious attacks.

Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Africa, Rep. Chris Smith, said the move restored a 2020 designation that was “wrongly lifted by the Biden administration.”

“This action is a powerful step in holding the Nigerian government accountable for its complicity in the unchecked murder, rape, and torture of Christians,” Smith said.

Other lawmakers, including Don Bacon, Andy Biggs, Gus Bilirakis, and Tim Walberg, echoed similar sentiments, urging the White House to deploy “every diplomatic and strategic tool” to protect Nigerian Christians and ensure accountability.

Last Friday, President Trump announced the CPC redesignation on his Truth Social platform, saying that Christianity faced an “existential threat” in Nigeria.

“Thousands of Christians are being killed. Radical Islamists are responsible for this mass slaughter. I am hereby making Nigeria a ‘Country of Particular Concern,’” Trump wrote.

He warned that Washington would not “stand by while such atrocities are happening” and vowed that his administration would “stand ready, willing, and able to defend Christian populations around the world.”

Rep. Riley Moore, one of the lawmakers who first raised the issue in Congress, said Trump’s decision reflected “true leadership and moral clarity.”

“We can no longer turn a blind eye to the bloodshed of our brothers and sisters in Christ. This horrible persecution will end thanks to President Trump,” Moore added.

The Federal Government of Nigeria has consistently rejected Washington’s claims of religious persecution, insisting that religion is not a factor in the country’s security challenges.

Recall that Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, said during a press briefing in Abuja on Wednesday that the U.S. position stemmed from “misrepresentation and misinformation” about Nigeria’s internal security dynamics.

“Our security issues are driven by banditry, insurgency, and socio-economic factors, not religion,” Idris clarified.

President Bola Tinubu had earlier reaffirmed Nigeria’s commitment to religious freedom, stating that the country remains a constitutional democracy guided by guarantees of liberty and equality for all faiths.

“Nigeria stands firmly as a democracy governed by constitutional guarantees of religious liberty. Since 2023, our administration has maintained open engagement with both Christian and Muslim leaders while tackling security challenges that affect citizens across faiths and regions.”

He added that portraying Nigeria as religiously intolerant “does not reflect our national reality,” stating that tolerance and peaceful coexistence “remain central to the Nigerian identity

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

ICPC Confirms Arrest And Detention Of El-Rufai

Published

on

Spread the love

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has confirmed that Nasir El-Rufai, former Governor of Kaduna State, is currently in its custody over an ongoing investigation.

The confirmation was contained in a statement issued just before midnight on Wednesday. The statement was signed by J. Okor Odey, Head of Media and Public Communications and Spokesperson of the Commission.

“The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) writes to state that Malam Nasiru El-Rufai the former Governor of Kaduna state is in our custody. Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the Commission in connection with investigations,” Odey said.

The ICPC did not provide further details about the nature of the investigation or how long the former governor may remain in custody.

 

Continue Reading

News

50 Kaduna Christians set for pilgrimage after 11-year

Published

on

Spread the love

Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the programme.

The Christian pilgrimage scheme was halted during the administration of former Governor Nasir El-Rufai, when the Christian Pilgrims Welfare Agency was scrapped.

The move generated controversy within sections of the Christian community at the time.

Reacting to the development on Wednesday, the Chairman of the Kaduna State chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria, Rev Ma’aji Bawa, commended the governor for what he described as a bold and inclusive decision.

“We are grateful to Governor Uba Sani for approving 50 Christians to commence pilgrimage after 11 years.

“This decision has restored hope and strengthened the confidence of Christians in the state,” Bawa said.

He described the approval as a significant first step, adding, “Although the number is 50 for now, we believe it is a foundation to build upon. We trust that the government will gradually increase the number so more faithful can participate.”

Bawa emphasised that pilgrimage is a sacred spiritual obligation.

“Pilgrimage is not a jamboree. Those going for pilgrimage are embarking on a spiritual journey to seek God’s face. They will pray for peace, unity and development in Kaduna State and Nigeria at large,” the cleric said.

He noted that the restoration of the programme demonstrated the government’s recognition of the role of faith in society.

“This gesture shows inclusiveness and respect for religious diversity. It strengthens the relationship between the government and the Christian community,” he added.

Bawa called for transparency in the selection process, stressing that only spiritually committed and responsible individuals should be chosen.

“We expect a credible and transparent process. Those selected must understand the purpose of pilgrimage and represent the state with dignity.”

He also urged Christians to remain prayerful, law-abiding, and supportive of government policies:

“As believers, we must continue to obey the laws of the land and support initiatives that promote unity and development. We also have a duty to pray for our leaders and the progress of our state,” he said.

Former lawmaker for Kaduna Central Senatorial District, Shehu Sani, also described the resumption of Christian pilgrims’ activities after 11 years as commendable.

Sani, in a post on his X (formerly Twitter) account, said the development reflected the fair and equitable leadership of the incumbent governor, compared with previous administrations.

Continue Reading

News

2027: Tinubu Buying Over Institutions, Non-Performing Governors, Says Ex-Minister, Dalung

Published

on

Spread the love

A former Minister of Youth and Sports, Solomon Dalung has accused the incumbent government of buying over state institutions as well as those he described as non-performing state governors.

He made the allegation at a protest against the Senate’s approval of both electronic transmission and manual collation of election results at the National Assembly on Tuesday.

Speaking during the protest, he said, “Is there anybody that is sidelined in Tinubu’s government? A government that is going about buying people. It has even bought non-performing governors to its side. Where does that government get the concept to sideline?

“A government that is desperately looking for people for endorsement. It has been endorsed by almost everybody. Bandits have even endorsed it. Bandit Turji has registered as a member of APC.

“The governors are defecting. INEC may defect. The Supreme Court will defect. Police will defect. The Army will defect. Is it a desperate government that can sideline anybody? Not certainly, not at all. Is it a credible government that will set the boundaries for people and sideline? But this one that is already sinking, a sinking ship,” he said.

 

Continue Reading

Trending