Connect with us

World

From U.S., more trouble for Nigeria’s businesses, tech innovators, students

Published

on

Spread the love

Ambassador Joe Keshi is Nigeria’s retired top career diplomat to the United States (US). In this interview, Keshi diagnoses the US reduction, last week, of the five-year visa validity for Nigerians to three months, effective July 8, 2025, stressing the urgent need for Nigeria to negotiate and build a cordial relationship with the US as this means more trouble for Nigeria’s businesses, tech innovators and students based on the cost of visa renewal every three months. Although the US Mission in Nigeria, which announced the new regime, initially gave reciprocity as the reason for the action, it later reversed itself, saying it was not a reciprocal action.

According to the embassy, the measure also has no connection with Nigeria’s stance on accepting deportees from Venezuela, the recent introduction of e-visa policies, or its affiliations with Brazil, Russia, India, China and South-Africa (BRICS), a group of five emerging economies which has expanded into 11 nations and which Nigeria is seeking to join. But rather, it is “a part of an ongoing global review of the use of US visas by other countries using technical and security benchmarks to safeguard US immigration systems.”

“We value our longstanding partnership with Nigeria and remain committed to working closely with the Nigerian public and government officials to help them meet those criteria and benchmarks, thereby ensuring safe, lawful, and mutually beneficial travel between our nations,” the embassy wrote in a Friday post on X.

The Federal Government faulted the US action, with officials suggesting different reasons but saying the US action was not justified. The Presidency issued a statement, noting that the claim of reciprocity as the reason for the visa policy did not accurately reflect the reality of Nigeria’s current visa policy toward US citizens.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Tuggar, for his part, linked the new policy to the rejection of Venezuelan deportees from the US, a claim the country’s Nigerian Mission denied. The minister said the pressure on Nigeria to accept Venezuelan deportees is unfair as the country already has its own problems.

“It will be difficult for a country like Nigeria to accept Venezuelan prisoners into Nigeria. We have enough problems of our own”, he said during a live program on TV. “We cannot accept Venezuelan deportees to Nigeria for crying out loud. We already have 230 million people. You will be the same people that would castigate us if we acquiesce to accepting Venezuelans from US prisons to be brought in”. Meanwhile, the retired diplomat says: “The worst part is that this policy would increase the corruption in the process. No embassy, particularly in Nigeria, would tell you that there’s no corruption in visa issuance. There’s huge corruption. So Nigerians pay a lot, and with this new policy, we probably have to pay more”. Excerpts:

What impact do you foresee the new single-entry visa policy having on Nigerian travelers and businesses with frequent US visits?

Naturally, the policy is going to have lots of impact, and it’s going to create disruption, particularly for business people who are always on the move. When you consider the tedious process of applying for and getting a US visa, you can apply this month, and they will tell you that the interview is next year. So if you have an urgent meeting in Washington, United States, it simply means that you can’t go. This is why the development is very unfortunate. But one way or the other, it hurts both sides.

But it hurts Nigeria more than it hurts the US because, quite often, how many Americans come to Nigeria anyway? So Nigeria would bear the burden of this kind of policy. In terms of cost, it means that Nigerians would have to be paying so much every three months to travel to the United States. Already find out how much Nigerians pay to get visas from these advanced countries. It is so mind-boggling that these countries would turn around to lecture us on capital flight through their visa policies.

They are, actually. They are actually contributing to their capital flight both legally and illegally. The worst part is that this policy would increase the corruption in the process. No embassy, particularly in Nigeria, would tell you that there’s no corruption in visa issuance.

There’s huge corruption. So Nigerians pay a lot, and with this new policy, we probably have to pay more. I seriously hope that efforts being made by Minister of Interior Olubumi Ojo and the Minister of Foreign Affairs are fruitful and that the US would listen to our plea and go back to the old policy.

How can the Nigerian government navigate the global visa reciprocity process to secure more favourable visa terms with the US?

We have to be realistic about issues. In this game, Nigeria has no chance of winning. The bulk of people who visit Nigeria from the United States are Nigerians, or you could say Nigerian-Americans. Some have found the way to circumvent the ‘wahala’ by having Nigerian and American passports. But the truth is, for us to navigate, we have to reach an agreement with the United States because more Nigerians travel to the United States and more Americans are travelling to Nigeria.

90 per cent of Americans that come to Nigeria are Nigerian-Americans. While in service, I had been urging Nigeria to build a far more cordial relationship with the United States, but we pretend to deceive ourselves by saying we have a strategic relationship with the US. We never had any strategic relationship with them.

Can you compare Nigeria’s importance to the US to that of Egypt or Israel? No, you cannot. But building a far more cordial relationship makes more sense than deceiving ourselves with being more strategic. So the new policy gives us an opportunity to evaluate our relationship with the United States and begin to see how to build it up. We do not have American investments in Nigeria when compared to South Africa, which had 6, 000 American companies in South Africa. I don’t know how many American companies are in Nigeria. International investment should not be one-sided. Nigerians in the tech industry and students who want to go are now to be constrained by this policy, which is why every effort should be made to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

How can Nigerian citizens adjust their travel plans to mitigate the effects of the new visa policy?

The best adjustment we can make is to negotiate. I gathered there was an agreement on a US five-year visa but that our implementation was poor. While the US began theirs immediately, it took us some time. I think there’s more to it.

Coming close to it is the BRICS meeting where US President Donald Trump vowed to punish those doing business without using the dollar. Also, as Americans are changing their policy, the UAE is doing the same thing. So you begin to ask yourself if we are not responsible for all this. We need to find out what our people are doing wrong that is warranting this staggering policy.

What role do you think security concerns play in the US’s decision to implement this new visa policy for Nigerian citizens?

I don’t think security concerns played a role. How many Americans come to Nigeria compared to the Indians?

Could the policy update affect Nigeria’s global reputation and relationships with other countries?

When I was serving in Atlanta many years ago, I said to a governor in the northern states that it is not only the misbehaviour of Nigerians that creates image problems for Nigeria; government-owned mistakes and behaviour create more image problems for Nigeria. I still maintain my position on that.

What we should advocate is that the Nigerian government should, as a matter of urgency and as a matter of policy, review all its visa relationships with a number of countries.

The government should first discuss with these countries, particularly countries like England, how to reduce the cost of visas. Have you ever done research on how much Nigerians pay to get visas to a number of these countries?

Calculate it: if about 20,000 Nigerians get a visa from an embassy, how much would an embassy be making in one year? That is how much Nigeria is losing to these countries through the visa review. The visa review of all the countries in Nigeria does not favour Nigerians. The annoying thing is these countries make a lot of money, both from the legal ones Nigerians pay as well as the illegal ones through middlemen.

Are there potential opportunities for Nigeria to diversify its international partnerships and reduce dependence on the US due to this policy change?

In international relations, who are your friends? If you build four blocks, who are those that would be in the first block? Who are those that would be in the second block? Who would be in the third block? Considering our economy, the first block would be filled by the Asian countries; there are over 200 Indian companies in Nigeria. Japanese companies are in Nigeria, Korean companies are in Nigeria.

Now, how many British companies do we have today in Nigeria? Maybe they provide services; where do you place the Americans? On the flipside, what is Nigeria itself doing in terms of production? What exactly are we exporting to these countries that would make us strategic partners in terms of trade beyond oil? Is it enough to make us strategic partners in terms of trade? It is when we become more productive that our currency is strengthened…otherwise all these we are doing are cosmetics.

In other words, we can strengthen our currency via production and our exports, not imports.

It is what makes China so rich today. The bulk of the taxes President Trump ordered were against Asian countries. It’s because they export lots of goods to the United States. They are the US’s largest trading partners, but Nigeria does not have that kind of advantage. The bottom line is production on all fronts.

Source : Vanguard.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Opinion

Peter Obi Calls Out ECOWAS for Alleged Double Standards in Handling Guinea-Bissau ‘Coup Glitch’

Published

on

Spread the love

Peter Obi has expressed strong concern over the political situation in Guinea-Bissau, citing comments made by former President Goodluck Jonathan, who served as an election observer in the country.

“I listened closely to Dr. Goodluck Jonathan’s briefing. As a former President who was on ground as an election monitor, he noted that the so-called coup appeared suspicious,” Obi said. He added that Jonathan had described the incident as unusual, pointing out that “it was the president himself who announced the coup and relayed the details to the international community.”

‘ECOWAS was quick on Guinea-Bissau, silent elsewhere’

Obi noted that reports from Guinea-Bissau indicated the election process was peaceful, with only the formal announcement of results pending before events took a strange turn.

“ECOWAS was swift to sanction Guinea-Bissau, but what does ECOWAS do when democracy is subverted — not by soldiers, but by technology?” he asked.

‘Do we condemn only coups with guns?’

The former Anambra governor questioned whether the regional bloc would apply the same standards to countries where election outcomes are disrupted by conveniently timed ‘glitches.’

“Do we only condemn coups that are visible with guns and ignore those executed through deliberate technological failure?” he queried.

Obi warned that both technological manipulation and political interference pose serious threats to electoral integrity. “Whether technical or political, these issues can undermine democracy, stall progress, and deny African citizens their right to freely choose their leaders,” he said.

A call for transparency across West Africa

Obi stressed that democracy can only thrive when transparency, accountability, and the will of the people are upheld.

“By confronting these challenges honestly, we can move towards a New Nigeria and a more stable, democratic West Africa. Our goal must be to ensure that the people’s will prevails and our elections reflect the true desires of our citizens.”

He added that the Guinea-Bissau incident mirrors a broader regional crisis.

“The episodes in Guinea-Bissau highlight two faces of the same problem: one where ballots are overturned by force, and another where ballots are obstructed by convenient technical excuses,” he said.

“In both situations, the citizens lose, democracy is weakened, and the region sinks deeper into instability. The result is the same — the people are denied their mandate.”


Continue Reading

World

Again, Trump Warns Nigeria Over Spate Of Terrorism, Kidnapping

Published

on

Spread the love

U.S. President Donald Trump has issued a strong warning to Nigeria’s government over the rising wave of killings and kidnappings across the country. Speaking during a Fox News discussion, Trump condemned the ongoing violence and accused Nigerian authorities of failing to act decisively despite receiving huge support from the United States.

Trump described the situation as “a disgrace,” saying terrorists continue to target villages, schools and churches while citizens live in fear. He expressed anger that the crisis has been ignored for too long, especially the attacks on Christian communities.

According to the broadcast, gunmen recently stormed a Catholic secondary school in Northwestern Nigeria, kidnapping an estimated 52 students in a single night. Days earlier, another Catholic church in the same region was attacked, leaving two people dead and 38 worshippers abducted.

A U.S. foreign policy expert on the panel noted that over 22 terrorist groups, including Boko Haram and factions linked to ISIS, are currently active in Nigeria. He described the attacks on schoolchildren as “horrific,” highlighting that many of the victims are young girls who end up trafficked or forced into slavery.

The discussion also addressed the growing concern that Nigeria’s security agencies are struggling to contain the violence. Analysts argue that the government’s response has not matched the seriousness of the threat, allowing insurgent groups to expand their operations.

Despite Nigeria’s denial of religious persecution, critics maintain that rural communities remain unprotected as kidnappings and mass killings increase each week. The situation has now drawn international attention, with many calling for stronger action from global partners.

Trump’s warning adds pressure on Nigeria to demonstrate real commitment to securing its citizens. Whether his comments will lead to policy changes or international intervention remains unclear, but the message has already sparked debate within diplomatic circles.

Continue Reading

World

Israel vows to inflict biblical plagues on Yemen’s Huthis

Published

on

Spread the love

Israel’s defence minister vowed Thursday to inflict the biblical 10 plagues of Egypt on Yemen’s Huthi rebels after they stepped up their missile attacks against Israel.

“The Huthis are firing missiles at Israel again. A plague of darkness, a plague of the firstborn — we will complete all 10 plagues,” Israel Katz posted on X.

He was referring to the 10 disasters that the Book of Exodus says were inflicted on Egypt by the Hebrew God to convince pharaoh to free the enslaved Israelites.

Earlier on Thursday, the Israeli army said a missile fired from Yemen struck outside Israeli territory, a day after it intercepted two Huthi missiles.

The Huthis’ military spokesman Yahya Saree said the rebels had targeted Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport with a ballistic missile.

 

The Iran-backed Huthis have vowed to step up their attacks on Israel, after their prime minister and 11 other senior officials were killed in Israeli air strikes last week.

The Huthis have launched repeated drone and missile attacks against Israel since the Gaza war erupted in October 2023, saying the launches are in support of the Palestinians.

Israel has carried out several rounds of retaliatory strikes in Yemen, targeting ports, power stations and the international airport in Sanaa, the rebel-held capital.

Continue Reading

Trending