Former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), was on Monday taken into custody by security operatives shortly after his release from the Kuje Correctional Centre, Abuja.
Operatives of the Department of State Services reportedly picked him up immediately after he exited the facility. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission clarified that it did not re-arrest Malami.
Officials of the Nigerian Correctional Service confirmed that Malami was released after meeting his bail conditions.
“He has been released. He perfected his bail conditions and was released this afternoon,” one official said. Another added, “He joined the DSS in their vehicle after his release.”
A video obtained by our correspondent showed Malami being led to a black vehicle shortly after leaving the correctional centre.
In the footage, he was heard asking, “Who is the oga among you? Can I see your ID card?”
Efforts to obtain comments from the DSS Deputy Director of Public Relations, Favour Dozie, were unsuccessful, as calls to her phone were not returned.
EFCC spokesman Dele Oyewale, reiterated, “We didn’t pick him up after he was released.”
Malami’s release followed the granting of bail on January 7 by Justice Emeka Nwite of the Federal High Court, Abuja. The court granted bail to Malami, his wife, and his son in the sum of N500 million each, with strict conditions.
Each defendant was required to produce two sureties with verifiable landed property within Asokoro, Maitama, or Gwarimpa, deposit property documents with the court, and submit affidavits of means.
They were also ordered to surrender their international passports and barred from travelling abroad without prior permission.
Malami, his wife Asabe, and his son had been remanded at Kuje following their arraignment by the EFCC on December 29, 2025, on a 16 counts, bordering on money laundering involving about N8.7bn.
The EFCC alleged that the defendants used multiple corporate entities, bank accounts, and high-value real estate transactions to conceal proceeds of unlawful activities.
Court documents (FHC/ABJ/CR/700/2025) stated that Malami and his son allegedly used Metropolitan Auto Tech Limited to conceal over N1.01bn between July 2022 and June 2025, and another N600m allegedly passed through a Sterling Bank account linked to the company between September 2020 and February 2021.
Additionally, the EFCC claimed the trio disguised the origin of N500m used to purchase a luxury duplex on Amazon Street, Maitama.
Malami had been in EFCC custody since December 8, 2025, after failing to meet earlier bail conditions.
On December 18, a Federal Capital Territory High Court presided over by Justice Babangida Hassan, upheld his detention as lawful.
The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has confirmed that Nasir El-Rufai, former Governor of Kaduna State, is currently in its custody over an ongoing investigation.
The confirmation was contained in a statement issued just before midnight on Wednesday. The statement was signed by J. Okor Odey, Head of Media and Public Communications and Spokesperson of the Commission.
“The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) writes to state that Malam Nasiru El-Rufai the former Governor of Kaduna state is in our custody. Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the Commission in connection with investigations,” Odey said.
The ICPC did not provide further details about the nature of the investigation or how long the former governor may remain in custody.
Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the programme.
The Christian pilgrimage scheme was halted during the administration of former Governor Nasir El-Rufai, when the Christian Pilgrims Welfare Agency was scrapped.
The move generated controversy within sections of the Christian community at the time.
Reacting to the development on Wednesday, the Chairman of the Kaduna State chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria, Rev Ma’aji Bawa, commended the governor for what he described as a bold and inclusive decision.
“We are grateful to Governor Uba Sani for approving 50 Christians to commence pilgrimage after 11 years.
“This decision has restored hope and strengthened the confidence of Christians in the state,” Bawa said.
He described the approval as a significant first step, adding, “Although the number is 50 for now, we believe it is a foundation to build upon. We trust that the government will gradually increase the number so more faithful can participate.”
Bawa emphasised that pilgrimage is a sacred spiritual obligation.
“Pilgrimage is not a jamboree. Those going for pilgrimage are embarking on a spiritual journey to seek God’s face. They will pray for peace, unity and development in Kaduna State and Nigeria at large,” the cleric said.
He noted that the restoration of the programme demonstrated the government’s recognition of the role of faith in society.
“This gesture shows inclusiveness and respect for religious diversity. It strengthens the relationship between the government and the Christian community,” he added.
Bawa called for transparency in the selection process, stressing that only spiritually committed and responsible individuals should be chosen.
“We expect a credible and transparent process. Those selected must understand the purpose of pilgrimage and represent the state with dignity.”
He also urged Christians to remain prayerful, law-abiding, and supportive of government policies:
“As believers, we must continue to obey the laws of the land and support initiatives that promote unity and development. We also have a duty to pray for our leaders and the progress of our state,” he said.
Former lawmaker for Kaduna Central Senatorial District, Shehu Sani, also described the resumption of Christian pilgrims’ activities after 11 years as commendable.
Sani, in a post on his X (formerly Twitter) account, said the development reflected the fair and equitable leadership of the incumbent governor, compared with previous administrations.
A former Minister of Youth and Sports, Solomon Dalung has accused the incumbent government of buying over state institutions as well as those he described as non-performing state governors.
He made the allegation at a protest against the Senate’s approval of both electronic transmission and manual collation of election results at the National Assembly on Tuesday.
Speaking during the protest, he said, “Is there anybody that is sidelined in Tinubu’s government? A government that is going about buying people. It has even bought non-performing governors to its side. Where does that government get the concept to sideline?
“A government that is desperately looking for people for endorsement. It has been endorsed by almost everybody. Bandits have even endorsed it. Bandit Turji has registered as a member of APC.
“The governors are defecting. INEC may defect. The Supreme Court will defect. Police will defect. The Army will defect. Is it a desperate government that can sideline anybody? Not certainly, not at all. Is it a credible government that will set the boundaries for people and sideline? But this one that is already sinking, a sinking ship,” he said.