Connect with us

News

Terrorists relocate after US air strikes

Published

on

Spread the love

There are indications that suspected terrorists in the North are relocating following the missile attacks carried out by the United States of America on Thursday night.

Credible community leaders told our correspondent  that they noticed movements as the hoodlums migrated in small numbers after the Christmas Day attacks.

President Donald Trump announced on Thursday that the US military carried out deadly strikes against Islamic State terrorists in northwestern Nigeria.

Confirming the strike, the Federal Government said it gave the US support and that the strikes were carried out on targeted areas being used by the terrorists.

However, no casualty was recorded in the two locations struck by the missiles.

At Jabo, Tambuwal Local Government Area of Sokoto State, a missile hit a farmland, while some buildings were affected in Offa, Kwara State.

Officials of Tangaza LGA in Sokoto State, however, said additional missile strikes were carried out on suspected hideouts of the Lakurawa armed group in parts of the Sokoto axis.

Although there were no deaths, several residents sustained injuries, while properties worth millions of naira were destroyed.

Influx of bandits in Benue

The Chairman of the Traditional Council in Gwer West LGA of Benue State, Daniel Abomtse, raised the alarm over the influx of armed herders into some communities following the US strike.

Speaking to one of our correspondents on Saturday, the traditional ruler said he noticed the presence of armed herders in his domain.

He said, “I felt their movement in my local government as well as in Agatu LGA. They have been running away from Sokoto to coastal areas in Gwer West and Agatu with sophisticated arms and grazing openly. They are in my domain.”

While appreciating the US strike, Abomtse called on Trump to extend the operations to Benue, Kogi, Taraba, Niger and Plateau states.

“What President Trump has done is the best thing to have happened to the government of Nigeria. I commend him for dealing with the menace in the country, which began about 16 years ago,” he added.

Efforts to get confirmation of Abomtse’s claims from the spokesperson for the Benue State Police Command, Udeme Edet, were unsuccessful, as her phone rang out and messages sent were not replied to as of the time of filing this report.

Sokoto terrorists in disarray

Security sources and residents said the Christmas attacks had disrupted the operations of bandits and forced them out of their hideouts.

Community leaders in Tangaza, Gudu and parts of Illela in Sokoto told  our correspondent  that there had been signs of dislocation and movement among armed groups since the strike.

According to some of them, who spoke on condition of anonymity, some bandits were seen moving in smaller numbers towards remote forest corridors, while others were believed to have attempted crossing into neighbouring border communities to evade aerial and ground surveillance.

A community leader in Tangaza said the airstrike “sent a strong signal” and forced criminal elements to abandon familiar routes and camps.

“People are cautious, but there is relief that their hideouts were hit,” he added.

Government officials in Sokoto State said intelligence assessments were ongoing to determine the direction and scale of bandit movement after the strike.

A senior official said security agencies had been placed on alert to prevent terrorists from infiltrating safer communities, stressing that border patrols and joint operations with federal forces were being intensified to block escape routes.

A security expert, Bashar Umar, said the state government, in collaboration with the military and other security agencies, was strengthening surveillance across flashpoints, particularly in border local governments to curb the terrorists movement.

US scans Sambisa Forest

A United States congressman, Riley Moore, said the strikes prevented “deadly Christmas attacks in Nigeria”.

Moore, who stated this on Saturday on X, noted that Christians in Nigeria were killed in the last two Christmas seasons.

“This year, thanks to @POTUS, radical Islamic terrorists were on the receiving end of 12 Tomahawk missiles as a present.

“The successful strikes on ISIS, in coordination with the Nigerian government, are just the first step to secure the country and end the slaughter of our brothers and sisters in Christ,” Moore added.

Our correspondent  learnt that the US had resumed surveillance operations in the Sambisa Forest, Borno State.

A Sahel-focused terrorism tracker, Brant Philip, disclosed this on on Saturday, sharing flight-tracking data indicating that an aircraft was operating over Borno State.

According to the post, the aircraft identified was a Gulfstream V, a long-range business jet commonly modified for ISR missions.

“The United States resumed ISR operations today on ISWAP in the Sambisa forest, Borno State in North-East Nigeria, after a pause of one day following the strikes in Sokoto State,” he wrote.

Terrorists dislocated, may seek international support – Experts

A security analyst and Chief Executive Officer of Beacon Consulting, Kabiru Adamu, said fleeing terrorists might attempt to cohabit with law-abiding citizens.

Adamu, a resident of Sokoto, said the terrorists might also seek support from international terror groups and governments sympathetic to their cause.

He called on security agencies to enhance surveillance capabilities to monitor terrorist movements and prevent infiltration of safe areas.

Adamu said, “There is going to be dislocation after the US strike. The terrorists will leave known locations and most likely try to integrate with law-abiding communities.

“They will also spin a narrative that a Christian country, the United States, is attacking Muslims in Nigeria. They will not say they are terrorists but will use this to gather support or sympathy.

“They will seek support from other terror groups around the world, including membership, tactics and funding. Nigeria may become a theatre of terror conflict as a result.

“Propaganda is another strategy they will adopt after the attacks, especially in cyberspace. They are likely to release fake news and propaganda materials to drive support and attract funding and membership.”

Also, a Professor of Political Science and Defence Studies at the Nigerian Defence Academy, Kaduna, Tar Usman, said the US military onslaught would distract the terrorists from planning and executing attacks as they grapple with the reality that a powerful global nation had joined forces with Nigeria.

According to him, the uncertainty surrounding possible future strikes will heighten fear among the terrorists and disrupt their operations.

“We do not know when next they (US) will strike, so there will be panic in the camp of the terrorists, and that is a good one for us because it will distract them from carrying out their notorious activities,” he added.

He explained that insurgent groups often take advantage of periods of calm to plan attacks, but noted that the current situation could deny them that opportunity.

Usman, however, cautioned that the intervention would not automatically bring an end to terrorism, warning that the groups could adopt new tactics.

He said, “I can also see a situation where they will try to disappear and mix with the public, but with vigilance, I hope our intelligence agencies would intercept them.

“We should not be under any illusion that they will abandon their notorious activities instantly. Maybe in the fullness of time, we will see the full impact of the US intervention.”

A top government source told our correspondent  that the US and Nigeria were collaborating to end killings, banditry and kidnapping.

The source disclosed that some of the terrorists were escaping to Kogi and neighbouring states, adding that measures were being put in place to flush them out.

Source : The Punch.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

ICPC Confirms Arrest And Detention Of El-Rufai

Published

on

Spread the love

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has confirmed that Nasir El-Rufai, former Governor of Kaduna State, is currently in its custody over an ongoing investigation.

The confirmation was contained in a statement issued just before midnight on Wednesday. The statement was signed by J. Okor Odey, Head of Media and Public Communications and Spokesperson of the Commission.

“The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) writes to state that Malam Nasiru El-Rufai the former Governor of Kaduna state is in our custody. Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the Commission in connection with investigations,” Odey said.

The ICPC did not provide further details about the nature of the investigation or how long the former governor may remain in custody.

 

Continue Reading

News

50 Kaduna Christians set for pilgrimage after 11-year

Published

on

Spread the love

Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the programme.

The Christian pilgrimage scheme was halted during the administration of former Governor Nasir El-Rufai, when the Christian Pilgrims Welfare Agency was scrapped.

The move generated controversy within sections of the Christian community at the time.

Reacting to the development on Wednesday, the Chairman of the Kaduna State chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria, Rev Ma’aji Bawa, commended the governor for what he described as a bold and inclusive decision.

“We are grateful to Governor Uba Sani for approving 50 Christians to commence pilgrimage after 11 years.

“This decision has restored hope and strengthened the confidence of Christians in the state,” Bawa said.

He described the approval as a significant first step, adding, “Although the number is 50 for now, we believe it is a foundation to build upon. We trust that the government will gradually increase the number so more faithful can participate.”

Bawa emphasised that pilgrimage is a sacred spiritual obligation.

“Pilgrimage is not a jamboree. Those going for pilgrimage are embarking on a spiritual journey to seek God’s face. They will pray for peace, unity and development in Kaduna State and Nigeria at large,” the cleric said.

He noted that the restoration of the programme demonstrated the government’s recognition of the role of faith in society.

“This gesture shows inclusiveness and respect for religious diversity. It strengthens the relationship between the government and the Christian community,” he added.

Bawa called for transparency in the selection process, stressing that only spiritually committed and responsible individuals should be chosen.

“We expect a credible and transparent process. Those selected must understand the purpose of pilgrimage and represent the state with dignity.”

He also urged Christians to remain prayerful, law-abiding, and supportive of government policies:

“As believers, we must continue to obey the laws of the land and support initiatives that promote unity and development. We also have a duty to pray for our leaders and the progress of our state,” he said.

Former lawmaker for Kaduna Central Senatorial District, Shehu Sani, also described the resumption of Christian pilgrims’ activities after 11 years as commendable.

Sani, in a post on his X (formerly Twitter) account, said the development reflected the fair and equitable leadership of the incumbent governor, compared with previous administrations.

Continue Reading

News

2027: Tinubu Buying Over Institutions, Non-Performing Governors, Says Ex-Minister, Dalung

Published

on

Spread the love

A former Minister of Youth and Sports, Solomon Dalung has accused the incumbent government of buying over state institutions as well as those he described as non-performing state governors.

He made the allegation at a protest against the Senate’s approval of both electronic transmission and manual collation of election results at the National Assembly on Tuesday.

Speaking during the protest, he said, “Is there anybody that is sidelined in Tinubu’s government? A government that is going about buying people. It has even bought non-performing governors to its side. Where does that government get the concept to sideline?

“A government that is desperately looking for people for endorsement. It has been endorsed by almost everybody. Bandits have even endorsed it. Bandit Turji has registered as a member of APC.

“The governors are defecting. INEC may defect. The Supreme Court will defect. Police will defect. The Army will defect. Is it a desperate government that can sideline anybody? Not certainly, not at all. Is it a credible government that will set the boundaries for people and sideline? But this one that is already sinking, a sinking ship,” he said.

 

Continue Reading

Trending