Connect with us

News

$11m fraud: US moves to revoke Nigerian’s citizenship

Published

on

Spread the love

The United States Department of Justice says it has filed a lawsuit seeking to revoke the citizenship of a Nigerian, Emmanuel Oluwatosin Kazeem, who was jailed in 2018 over an $11m fraud.

Our correspondent  learnt from a statement obtained on the DoJ website on Thursday that Kazeem was convicted on 19 counts bordering on wire fraud, aggravated identity theft, and conspiracy to commit wire and mail fraud.

According to the statement, in May 2013, a victim in Medford, Oregon, notified the Internal Revenue Service that false federal and Oregon state tax returns had been filed electronically using her and her husband’s personal identifying information, including Social Security numbers and dates of birth.

The statement noted that an IRS investigation led to the execution of search warrants at residences in Illinois, Maryland, and Georgia, as well as multiple email and instant messaging accounts used by Kazeem and other co-conspirators.

It continued, “At a Chicago residence, agents seized approximately 150 prepaid debit cards and $50,000 in money orders. In Maryland and Georgia, agents seized more than 50 electronic devices, 40 money orders exceeding $29,000, $14,000 in cash, and numerous prepaid debit cards containing over $12,000 in fraudulent tax refunds.

The search warrants helped agents identify Kazeem as the leader and mastermind of the scheme.

“The scheme resulted in the conspirators possessing stolen personal identifying information of more than 259,000 victims. Kazeem purchased more than 91,000 identities from a Vietnamese hacker who originated from an Oregon company’s private database.

“The company provided pre-employment and volunteer background checks for thousands of clients. Kazeem divided the identities into batches and shared them with other co-conspirators, which were then used them to file fraudulent tax returns between 2012 and 2015.”

The statement added that investigations revealed that Kazeem trained and directed other co-conspirators, including his younger brother, Michael Oluwasegun Kazeem, to use stolen identities to obtain thousands of electronic filing PINs to bypass IRS authentication procedures.

It added that Kazeem and his accomplices acquired over 19,500 E-File PINs during the conspiracy and used taxpayers’ identities to gain unauthorised access to IRS transcripts, while stolen prepaid debit cards were used to receive tax refunds.

It further stated, “In total, Kazeem was linked to 10,139 fraudulent federal tax returns attempting to obtain over $91m in refunds and successfully receiving over $11.6m.

“Refunds were withdrawn from the debit cards, and at least 2,000 wire transfers totalling over $2.1m were sent to Nigeria. Over 700 of those transfers, amounting to more than $690,000, were directly linked to Kazeem.

“Kazeem used the proceeds to make a nearly $200,000 down payment on a newly constructed house and to purchase a $175,000 townhouse, both in Maryland. His average monthly credit card payment between 2012 and 2015 exceeded $8,300. He also attempted to use the funds to develop a $6m four-star hotel in Lagos.”

The statement added that in May 2015, Kazeem transferred the townhouse to his sister in Nigeria for $10 and also added her to the deed of his Maryland residence for the same amount before his arrest the following day.

The DoJ said Kazeem was sentenced to 15 years’ imprisonment in 2018 and ordered to pay more than $12m in restitution, but his sentence was later commuted and he was released from prison by former US President, Joe Biden.

In the fresh suit, the department alleged that Kazeem’s actions disqualified him from lawful naturalisation.

“The complaint alleges that Kazeem’s fraud scheme, committed before and after his naturalisation, along with the concealment of his crimes, precluded him from obtaining citizenship lawfully.

“It also alleges that Kazeem engaged in a sham marriage to obtain permanent resident status and later married a second woman, further disqualifying him from naturalisation,” the statement added.

The move comes amid renewed immigration enforcement under the administration of Donald Trump, which has reiterated its stance against criminal migrants through crackdowns and deportations

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Xenophobic attacks: Nigerian lives should not be sacrificed for foreign investors — Oshiomhole

Published

on

Spread the love

The senator representing Edo North, Adams Oshiomhole, has defended his call for the nationalisation of MTN and other South African-owned companies operating in Nigeria, saying the country must prioritise the lives of its citizens over foreign investment.

He made the call on Tuesday during an interview on Arise News, where he reacted to renewed xenophobic attacks against Nigerians in South Africa.

Recall that Oshiomhole, speaking last week on the floor of the Senate, said Nigeria must respond firmly to protect its citizens, stressing reciprocity in international relations.

His words, “I am aware that MTN is quoted, and therefore Nigerian shareholders can hold on, but we take away the South African rights,” he said.

Oshiomhole further proposed that the FG could nationalise affected companies, including financial institutions, and later re-privatise them under Nigerian control.

“And because of the issue… you nationalise, and then you re-privatise it so that Nigerians can take it over, and the profit they are taking out of Nigeria will be retained here. There will be no South African share in it,” he added.

Oshiomhole also claimed that South African authorities only responded meaningfully after diplomatic pressure from Nigeria, though he did not provide evidence for the assertion.

“Thereafter, President Ramaphosa came out clearly to condemn the attack on Black people. He didn’t do that until I attacked his interests,” he said.

He insisted that human life must take priority over economic considerations, arguing that investment should not come at the cost of Nigerian lives.

“If anything leads to the death of Nigeria, what is the value of wealth to the dead? We don’t want investors who invest at the expense of human blood. Even in my poverty, I value my life,” he said.

“Life is more important; we don’t want investors who invest at the expense of human blood. If you need Nigerian blood to service and you don’t care about Nigerian human blood because you want to attract investors, even in my poverty, I value my life.”

The former governor linked his position to what he described as repeated attacks on Nigerians in South Africa, alleging that justice had not been served in previous incidents.

“When a country, for the first time, killed Nigerians, they got away with it. The second time, they killed Nigerians; they got away with it. Third time, they killed Nigerians; they got away with it,” he said.

He added, “Under Buhari, there was an agreement. They broke it. They are killing Nigerians. Nobody is in prison for murder, or extrajudicial murder.

“You are talking about law. Is there no law protecting the life of foreigners who live in your country? Even if they were there illegally, there are legal ways to repatriate them, to deport them,” he said.

 

Continue Reading

News

UK Exposes Russia’s Network Trafficking Nigerians To Fight In Ukraine

Published

on

Spread the love

The United Kingdom has taken widespread action and imposed sanctions against a shadowy network of traffickers, foreign recruiters and drone suppliers blamed for Moscow’s war in Ukraine and allegedly trafficking vulnerable Nigerians and other nationals to fight in Ukraine.

The UK government on Wednesday said 35 individuals and entities linked to what it described as a “barbaric pipeline” that lures desperate migrants with false promises, only to funnel them into frontline combat or forced labour in Russia’s expanding drone factories have been severely sanctioned.

UK officials noted that recruiters allegedly tied to the Russian have been targeting citizens from countries including Nigeria, Egypt, Iraq and Ivory Coast—offering jobs, education or migration pathways—but ultimately deploying victims to Ukraine under harsh, often deadly conditions.

The notorious Alabuga Start programme, is linked to a sanctioned Russian entity that allegedly channels foreign recruits into drone manufacturing hubs and reports said that in some instances vulnerable Nigerians and nationals of others countries unfortunate to be recruited are sent directly to the battlefield with little or no training and effectively used as “cannon fodder,” according to UK authorities.

“This is exploitation at its most brutal,” UK official Stephen Doughty said, describing the networks as both predatory and integral to sustaining Russia’s war effort. “We are exposing and dismantling the pipelines that traffic vulnerable people and feed illicit components into Putin’s drone factories.”

The sanctions also strike at the technological backbone of Russia’s escalating aerial assaults, a statement from the UK High Commission in Abuja said.

Among those listed is Pavel Nikitin, whose company produces the VT-40—one of the low-cost, mass-produced drones increasingly deployed in attacks across Ukrainian cities. The urgency of the action is underscored by a sharp escalation in drone warfare, the statement added.

In March 2026, Russia reportedly launched more than 200 drones per day—the highest rate since the war with Ukraine began—intensifying strikes on civilian areas and critical infrastructure. Security analysts warn that Moscow’s reliance on cheap, high-volume drone production has reshaped the battlefield and prolonged the conflict.

Nigerian authorities are reportedly disturbed over the alleged role of Polina Alexandrovna Azarnykh, identified as a central figure in coordinating the movement of foreign recruits into Russia before their deployment to Ukraine. British officials also said some of those recruited have already died.

British Deputy High Commissioner in Abuja Gill Lever confirmed that Nigerians have been directly affected, warning that the schemes deliberately prey on economic vulnerability.

“These sanctions shine a light on those exploiting innocent Nigerians to sustain an illegal war,” she said, noting that many victims were misled into believing they were securing legitimate opportunities abroad.

Her comments came about following recent warnings by Nigeria’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which had warned Nigerian citizens against suspicious overseas job offers linked to the conflict.

 

Continue Reading

News

Court orders interim takeover of Sylva’s nine properties

Published

on

Spread the love

The Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered the interim forfeiture of nine properties linked to the former Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva, to the Federal Government.

Justice Obiora Egwuatu made the order after the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission counsel, Oluwaleke Atolagbe, moved an ex parte motion to the effect.

Our correspondent reports that though Justice Egwuatu delivered the ruling on April 24, the enrolled order was sighted on Wednesday, May 6.

The affected assets are located across high-value areas in Abuja.

They include four blocks of terraces at Dakibiyu; a duplex with penthouse and office complex at No. 3, Niger Street, MStreet; one standalone duplex at Villa 1, Unit 1, Palm Springs Estate, Mpape; and a block of flats with 10 units of flats at No. 8, Sefadu Street, Wuse Zone 4, Abuja.

Others are blocks of flats with six units of flats at No. 1, Mubi Close, Garki, Abuja; two blocks with 12 units of flats at Plot 1181, Thaba Tseka Crescent, Wuse II, Abuja; one standalone duplex at No. 18, Nile Lake, Plot 1271, Maitama, Abuja,

The ninth property is a two-block building, which is currently occupied by the National Information Technology Development Agency, and is located at No. 5, Aguta Street, Garki, Abuja.

The judge said: “It is hereby ordered as follows: An interim order of this honourable court is made forfeiting the properties listed in the schedule attached herein, being properties suspected to be proceeds of some unlawful activities pending the publication and hearing of the motion on notice for final forfeiture order of the said properties.

“An order of this honourable court is made directing the publication of the interim order under order (1) above for anyone who is interested in the property to appear before this honourable court to show cause within 14 days why the final order of forfeiture should not be made in favour of the Federal Government of Nigeria.”

Justice Egwuatu also granted the EFCC’s request that the publication of the order shall be made in any two of the following newspapers: Thisday, Guardian, PUNCH, Vanguard, Tribune or Independent Newspapers within seven days from the receipt of the certified true copy of the order.

The judge then adjourned the matter until May 25 for a report of compliance.

The commission had, in the suit marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/607/2026, filed the application under provisions of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Related Offences Act, 2006.

Moving the motion, Atolagbe sought an interim order, forfeiting the properties to the Federal Government pending the publication and hearing of the motion on notice for a final forfeiture order of the said properties.

He said the properties were suspected to be proceeds of some unlawful activities.

The lawyer urged the court to direct the anti-graft agency to make the publication of the order in any national newspaper for anyone who is interested in the properties to show cause within 14 days why the final order of forfeiture should not be made in favour of the Federal Government.

Our correspondent  reports that Sylva, a former governor of Bayelsa State, has also been mentioned in connection with an alleged failed coup plot against President Bola Tinubu, though he has not been formally charged in that case and is reportedly still at large.

Continue Reading

Trending