Connect with us

Politics

APC recalls ‘retired’ Abdullahi Adamu for 2026 convention c’ttee despite ADC defection rumour

Published

on

Spread the love

The ruling All Progressives Congress APC has officially set its sights on the 2026 National Convention with the unveiling of a 73-member Central Coordination Committee, which features the controversial return of its former National Chairman, Senator Abdullahi Adamu.

The inclusion of Adamu is particularly striking given his 2023 announcement that he was quitting partisan politics due to a self-described “allergy” to political activities, followed by recent viral reports suggesting he had dumped the ruling party for the African Democratic Congress ADC.

APC leadership appears to have made a strategic move to suppress rumours of internal fracture by placing the former chairman at number 32 on the committee list.

The Nasarawa State chapter of the APC had last month issued a formal rebuttal against claims of Adamu’s defection, insisting that a widely circulated photo of him was not an ADC reception but rather his participation in the APC’s nationwide e-membership registration exercise.

The convention committee is chaired by the Governor of Imo State and Chairman of the Progressive Governors’ Forum, Hope Uzodimma, who will be supported by Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq as Vice Chairman and Yobe State Governor Mai Mala Buni as Secretary.

The list reinforces the influence of state governors over the party’s transitional machinery as they prepare for the national gathering scheduled for March 2026.

Beyond the Adamu saga, the committee reflects a “big tent” strategy by the National Working Committee NWC, incorporating a mix of traditional heavyweights and notable new entrants.

The list includes Senate President Godswill Akpabio and Speaker Tajudeen Abbas, alongside recent high-profile defectors such as Rivers State governor, Siminalayi Fubara; Kano State Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf and Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang, all of whom officially joined the APC recently.

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

I’m in talks with NDC, PRP leaders over my political future — Kwankwaso

Published

on

Spread the love

Former Governor of Kano State, Rabiu Kwankwaso has said no final decision has been taken regarding his political future or that of his associates.

The African Democratic Congress chieftain, however, admitted that he is currently consulting with leaders of the National Democratic Congress and the Peoples Redemption Party.

Kwankwaso made this known in a statement shared on his X account on Saturday.

He wrote, “We have noted recent media reports and discussions suggesting a possible realignment within the African Democratic Congress (ADC) due to the current challenges facing the party.

“In light of the misleading narratives in the public domain, I wish to state categorically that no final decision has been taken regarding my political future or that of my political associates.”

He noted that the recent Supreme Court’s judgment affirmed the legitimacy of the David Mark-led National Working Committee but returned aspects of the matter to the high court, leaving the party in a difficult position.

“The recent Supreme Court judgment, while affirming the legitimacy of the David Mark-led National Working Committee (NWC), also remitted the matter back to the High Court. This has left the party in a precarious position,” he said.

According to him, a separate ruling by the Federal High Court had also invalidated the party’s recent convention, while the Attorney General of the Federation had applied for the deregistration of the ADC.

Kwankwaso said the challenges mirrored the legal issues that earlier forced him and his supporters out of the New Nigeria Peoples Party.

“In addition, the Federal High Court has recently ruled to delegitimise the party’s recent convention. The Attorney General of the Federation has also strangely applied to a Federal High Court to deregister the ADC.

“We left the NNPP due to externally influenced legal problems that made our stay perilous. The ADC has now been also forced into this difficulty,” he added.

He disclosed that consultations had begun with leaders of the National Democratic Congress, Peoples Redemption Party and others to determine the best path forward.

“Consequently, like other major stakeholders, we have commenced wide-ranging consultations — including with leaders from the NDC, PRP and others to explore the best options for protecting our democratic interests. We shall announce our decision in the soonest possible time,” he added.

On the 2027 presidential race, Kwankwaso said he had neither declared interest in contesting nor endorsed any aspirant.

He recalled finishing second in the 2014 APC presidential primary won by Muhammadu Buhari, and later supporting the winner. He also said he contested the 2019 PDP presidential primary before backing Atiku Abubakar.

He said, “On the issue of presidential candidacy, I wish to recall my consistent record as a committed democrat. In the 2014 APC presidential primary, I came second to President Muhammadu Buhari (whom I fully supported to victory), with Atiku Abubakar third, Rochas Okorocha fourth, and the late Sam Nda-Isaiah fifth.

“Similarly, in 2019, I contested the PDP presidential ticket and immediately supported the winner, His Excellency Atiku Abubakar, serving as the campaign’s coordinator in the North. I have always placed national interest and party unity above personal ambition.”

Kwankwaso added that the ADC had yet to zone its presidential ticket or choose a candidate, making current speculation unfounded.

He also explained that his absence from two recent ADC stakeholders’ meetings was due to unavoidable personal commitments, which he had communicated to party leaders.

“Furthermore, the ADC is yet to zone its presidential ticket or take any decision on a candidate. I have therefore neither declared any intention to run for president nor endorsed any aspirant. All speculations to the contrary are premature and unfounded.

“My absence from the two recent ADC stakeholders’ meetings was due to unavoidable personal commitments. I promptly communicated my apologies to the party leadership.

“We shall continue to engage constructively at all levels. Any definitive position on our political direction will be communicated formally through official channels at the appropriate time,” he said.

Continue Reading

Politics

Workers’ Day: ADC criticises rising living costs

Published

on

Spread the love

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has expressed concern over the rising cost of living in Nigeria, saying it is placing increasing pressure on workers and affecting real incomes.

In a Workers’ Day statement signed by its National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, the party said many Nigerians are facing economic strain as prices of essential goods and services continue to rise.

“Across Nigeria today, workers are doing more and earning less. Rising costs of food, transport, housing, and energy have reduced the value of workers’ wages,” the statement said.

The party linked the situation to broader economic and security challenges, noting that inflation, limited job opportunities, and disruptions to business activities are contributing to the pressure on households.

According to the ADC, addressing these challenges requires policies that support job creation, improve security, and stabilise prices to protect workers’ purchasing power.

The party emphasised the need for an economic framework that promotes enterprise, encourages productivity, and ensures that workers are adequately rewarded for their labour.

It also called for sustained interventions to ease the burden on citizens, particularly in areas affecting daily living costs.

“The focus should be on building an economy that works for ordinary Nigerians, where productivity translates into improved livelihoods,” the statement added.

The ADC reiterated its position that workers’ welfare should remain a priority, stressing the importance of policies that enhance income stability and economic opportunity.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Buhari’s son gets automatic APC ticket to seek Reps seat

Published

on

Spread the love

Yusuf Buhari, son of former President Muhammadu Buhari, has picked the All Progressives Congress (APC) ticket to contest for the Daura/Sandamu/Mai’adua Federal Constituency seat in the 2027 elections.

Our correspondent  reports that Yusuf picked the ticket unopposed after a stakeholders’ meeting held in Katsina on Tuesday, April 28, unanimously adopted him as the party’s candidate.

The consensus agreement was announced by the chairman of the Consensus Committee for Daura Zone, Alhaji Ahmed Dangiwa, a former minister of housing and urban development.

Speaking after Yusuf’s adoption, Mannir Musa, APC Chairman, Mai’adua Local Government, urged party members to accept the outcome in good faith.

“I urge all our people to be obedient and accept the consensus reached by the committee and stakeholders in good faith. We should all work together for the unity and progress of the party and our people,” he said.

He also appealed to Katsina governor Dikko Radda to support aspirants who did not get tickets so that they could continue to serve their people.

Musa urged aspirants offered the tickets through consensus to work for their constituents when elected in the secondary election.

He named other automatic candidates to include Nasir Yahaya for the Daura senatorial seat race and Mustapha Musa for the Mai’adua constituency in the Katsina State House of Assembly.

Yusuf Buhari, in a remark, thanked party members for the confidence reposed in him and pledged to provide quality representation if elected. (NAN)

Continue Reading

Trending