Connect with us

News

Use political solution, release Nnamdi Kanu today, Onoh pleads with Tinubu

Published

on

Spread the love

The former spokesman of President Bola Tinubu in the south east, Denge Josef Onoh, has urged his boss, President Tinubu to employ political solution other than legal fireworks in today’s arbitration in the case of the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Mazi Nnamdi Kanu.

Kanu appears in court today, Friday, where IPOB is advocating for rule of the law in the trial process. The group had in its reply to Onoh’s accusation on IPOB’s inflammatory speeches said that the problem in Kanu’s trial lied on the abuse of rule of law by the Nigerian government.

IPOB’s spokesman, Emma Powerful, told Onoh it was not obstructing justice but that the continued detention of Kanu is as a result of legal irregularities and procedural defects, and called for adherence to constitutional safeguards.

Examining the defence, Onoh said that the IPOB position is a clear testament to integrity, a demonstration of readiness to embrace dialogue as the path forward, rather than the shadows of violence that has haunted the south east region.

He said that IPOB’s tone signals that the door to constructive conversation is wide open—provided it is met with sincerity from leaders such as President Tinubu. Onoh urged President Tinubu to now formally pursue a diplomatic and political solution to secure the unconditional release of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu.

“This is not only a moral imperative, but one squarely within the constitutional powers of the Attorney General of the Federation, who holds the authority to invoke Section 174 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) for nolle prosequi or other discretionary remedies in the interest of justice and national peace. IPOB’s statement meticulously outlines the legal irregularities plaguing Kanu’s detention, which demand immediate rectification to uphold the sanctity of our judiciary.”

Onoh further said that IPOB in response to him stated that Kanu was previously discharged and acquitted on the charges at issue, rendering any retrial a violation of the constitutional safeguard against double jeopardy under Section 36(9).

“Furthermore, the prosecution’s reliance on the repealed Terrorism Prevention (Amended) Act 2013, superseded by subsequent legislation—renders the case constitutionally untenable.”

Onoh further highlighted the reservations IPOB expressed in their reply to him stating the misuse of civil ex parte orders to underpin criminal liability which contravenes the right to a fair hearing enshrined in Section 36, and the absence of cross-border procedural approvals for Kanu’s rendition further invalidates the proceedings.

“To underscore the urgency and viability of such a political solution, consider the recent global precedent that unfolded just yesterday at the United Nations General Assembly. Ahmed al-Sharaa—formerly known as Abu Mohammad al-Jolani, the once-most-wanted terrorist leader in Syria by the United States, with a $10 million bounty on his head for his role in al-Qaeda affiliates and the ousting of Bashar al-Assad’s regime in late 2024—was granted the platform to address the world body as Syria’s transitional president.

“This extraordinary allowance, amid ongoing concerns over his past, exemplifies how pragmatic diplomacy can transcend persecution, fostering stability over endless retribution. If the international community can pivot from bounties to dialogue for Syria’s sake, surely Nigeria—under your visionary leadership—can extend the same olive branch to resolve the Southeast’s grievances without further bloodshed.”

He told President Tinubu that his personal history with the Southeast speaks volumes about his readiness to heal the wounds.

“You remain the first Nigerian politician in our democratic history to appoint a regional spokesman during your campaign, a bold gesture that signaled your intent to listen, engage, and address the marginalization felt by our people. That foresight has now borne fruit, as evidenced by this very moment of potential breakthrough with IPOB.

“It is a validation of your inclusive vision and a call to action to build on this momentum. I implore you, Mr. President, to summon the same resolute spirit of political dialogue that enabled you to deftly resolve the protracted crises in Rivers State—crises that threatened our federation’s fabric. Apply that wisdom here: release Mazi Nnamdi Kanu unconditionally, paving the way for broader reconciliation in the Southeast.”

“The people of my region find it ultimately provoking and an affront to their collective intelligence that negotiations continue unabated with terrorist bandits in the North, even as olive branches are extended to them, while Kanu—a non-violent agitator—languish in detention under a cloud of legal infirmity. Such disparity fuels despair, your intervention can ignite hope.

“I once again plead that mazi Nnamdi Kanu be released to iyom Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu and Senator John Azuta-Mbata (President General Ohanaeze Ndigbo). I humbly plead that he be released today if not, the most important thing is that he spends Christmas with his family and visit the grave of his late father and offer his prayers,” Onoh pleaded.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

ICPC Confirms Arrest And Detention Of El-Rufai

Published

on

Spread the love

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has confirmed that Nasir El-Rufai, former Governor of Kaduna State, is currently in its custody over an ongoing investigation.

The confirmation was contained in a statement issued just before midnight on Wednesday. The statement was signed by J. Okor Odey, Head of Media and Public Communications and Spokesperson of the Commission.

“The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) writes to state that Malam Nasiru El-Rufai the former Governor of Kaduna state is in our custody. Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the Commission in connection with investigations,” Odey said.

The ICPC did not provide further details about the nature of the investigation or how long the former governor may remain in custody.

 

Continue Reading

News

50 Kaduna Christians set for pilgrimage after 11-year

Published

on

Spread the love

Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the programme.

The Christian pilgrimage scheme was halted during the administration of former Governor Nasir El-Rufai, when the Christian Pilgrims Welfare Agency was scrapped.

The move generated controversy within sections of the Christian community at the time.

Reacting to the development on Wednesday, the Chairman of the Kaduna State chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria, Rev Ma’aji Bawa, commended the governor for what he described as a bold and inclusive decision.

“We are grateful to Governor Uba Sani for approving 50 Christians to commence pilgrimage after 11 years.

“This decision has restored hope and strengthened the confidence of Christians in the state,” Bawa said.

He described the approval as a significant first step, adding, “Although the number is 50 for now, we believe it is a foundation to build upon. We trust that the government will gradually increase the number so more faithful can participate.”

Bawa emphasised that pilgrimage is a sacred spiritual obligation.

“Pilgrimage is not a jamboree. Those going for pilgrimage are embarking on a spiritual journey to seek God’s face. They will pray for peace, unity and development in Kaduna State and Nigeria at large,” the cleric said.

He noted that the restoration of the programme demonstrated the government’s recognition of the role of faith in society.

“This gesture shows inclusiveness and respect for religious diversity. It strengthens the relationship between the government and the Christian community,” he added.

Bawa called for transparency in the selection process, stressing that only spiritually committed and responsible individuals should be chosen.

“We expect a credible and transparent process. Those selected must understand the purpose of pilgrimage and represent the state with dignity.”

He also urged Christians to remain prayerful, law-abiding, and supportive of government policies:

“As believers, we must continue to obey the laws of the land and support initiatives that promote unity and development. We also have a duty to pray for our leaders and the progress of our state,” he said.

Former lawmaker for Kaduna Central Senatorial District, Shehu Sani, also described the resumption of Christian pilgrims’ activities after 11 years as commendable.

Sani, in a post on his X (formerly Twitter) account, said the development reflected the fair and equitable leadership of the incumbent governor, compared with previous administrations.

Continue Reading

News

2027: Tinubu Buying Over Institutions, Non-Performing Governors, Says Ex-Minister, Dalung

Published

on

Spread the love

A former Minister of Youth and Sports, Solomon Dalung has accused the incumbent government of buying over state institutions as well as those he described as non-performing state governors.

He made the allegation at a protest against the Senate’s approval of both electronic transmission and manual collation of election results at the National Assembly on Tuesday.

Speaking during the protest, he said, “Is there anybody that is sidelined in Tinubu’s government? A government that is going about buying people. It has even bought non-performing governors to its side. Where does that government get the concept to sideline?

“A government that is desperately looking for people for endorsement. It has been endorsed by almost everybody. Bandits have even endorsed it. Bandit Turji has registered as a member of APC.

“The governors are defecting. INEC may defect. The Supreme Court will defect. Police will defect. The Army will defect. Is it a desperate government that can sideline anybody? Not certainly, not at all. Is it a credible government that will set the boundaries for people and sideline? But this one that is already sinking, a sinking ship,” he said.

 

Continue Reading

Trending