Connect with us

News

Dont Enter Edo without security clearance, Gov Okpebholo Warns Peter Obi

Published

on

Spread the love

Edo State Governor, Senator Monday Okpebholo, has warned that the Labour Party presidential candidate in the 2023 elections, Peter Obi, must get security clearance before coming to the state.

Obi had visited Benin, the state capital, on July 7 and donated N15m million to St Philomena Hospital School of Nursing Sciences for the completion of projects in the school.

The governor, who spoke on Friday while receiving Marcus Onobun, the last remaining opposition federal lawmaker in the state, into the All Progressives Congress, condemned Obi’s visit to the state.

He asserted that his visit coincided with the resurgence of violence in the state.

“That man who says he has no ‘shishi’ came and dropped ₦15 million. Where did he get it from? After he left, three people were killed. For this reason, Obi must not come to Edo without security clearance.

“His visit coincided with a resurgence of violence in the state and this will not be tolerated,” the governor stated.

Speaking at the event, the governor described Onobun’s move to APC as the final nail in the coffin of the PDP in Edo State.

He said that the APC is now firmly in control of Edo State, declaring that all traces of the opposition would be completely erased by the 2027 general elections.

He added, “We are not lobbying anyone to join APC; they are coming because they see the results of our governance. In 2027, 2.5 million votes from Edo are guaranteed for President Bola Tinubu.

“Last week, we finally buried the PDP in Edo State. I saw someone crying at Ring Road, talking about having 65 per cent. That is what we call social media winning. When I said I would become the Governor, I meant it. Today, we are turning Edo into a construction site, and they can see it,” he said.

The governor further accused key opposition figures of deep-rooted corruption and mismanagement, claiming some of them were responsible for derailed national infrastructure projects and national insecurity.

He said, “Some of them stole railway funds. Some were Senate Presidents for years and could not build roads to their villages. Some sold off Nigeria’s assets and even ushered in Boko Haram and kidnappers. These same people now want to form new parties. Today, SDP, tomorrow ADC, next ADA. We do not need insecurity merchants,” Okpebholo declared.

Acting Deputy State Chairman of APC, Sylvester Aigboboh, said the defection is a major boost for the party, as it prepares for a major senatorial rerun election coming up next month.

He said the remnants in the PDP are expected to join the ruling APC in the coming months, as the country prepares for the 2027 general elections.

In his remarks, Onobun, who represents Esan Central/Esan West/Igueben Federal Constituency, said that his defection was both ideological and strategic.

“I led the campaign for an Esan Governor. Now that we have one, I cannot be in the opposition. I have seen what Governor Okpebholo is doing; Edo people have seen it. I am back home to support him so that our people can get more,” he said.

Onobun was accompanied into the APC by a host of former APC members who had earlier defected with him to the PDP.

Their return, observers say, is a major consolidation of political strength ahead of future electoral contests in the State.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

ICPC Confirms Arrest And Detention Of El-Rufai

Published

on

Spread the love

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has confirmed that Nasir El-Rufai, former Governor of Kaduna State, is currently in its custody over an ongoing investigation.

The confirmation was contained in a statement issued just before midnight on Wednesday. The statement was signed by J. Okor Odey, Head of Media and Public Communications and Spokesperson of the Commission.

“The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) writes to state that Malam Nasiru El-Rufai the former Governor of Kaduna state is in our custody. Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the Commission in connection with investigations,” Odey said.

The ICPC did not provide further details about the nature of the investigation or how long the former governor may remain in custody.

 

Continue Reading

News

50 Kaduna Christians set for pilgrimage after 11-year

Published

on

Spread the love

Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the programme.

The Christian pilgrimage scheme was halted during the administration of former Governor Nasir El-Rufai, when the Christian Pilgrims Welfare Agency was scrapped.

The move generated controversy within sections of the Christian community at the time.

Reacting to the development on Wednesday, the Chairman of the Kaduna State chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria, Rev Ma’aji Bawa, commended the governor for what he described as a bold and inclusive decision.

“We are grateful to Governor Uba Sani for approving 50 Christians to commence pilgrimage after 11 years.

“This decision has restored hope and strengthened the confidence of Christians in the state,” Bawa said.

He described the approval as a significant first step, adding, “Although the number is 50 for now, we believe it is a foundation to build upon. We trust that the government will gradually increase the number so more faithful can participate.”

Bawa emphasised that pilgrimage is a sacred spiritual obligation.

“Pilgrimage is not a jamboree. Those going for pilgrimage are embarking on a spiritual journey to seek God’s face. They will pray for peace, unity and development in Kaduna State and Nigeria at large,” the cleric said.

He noted that the restoration of the programme demonstrated the government’s recognition of the role of faith in society.

“This gesture shows inclusiveness and respect for religious diversity. It strengthens the relationship between the government and the Christian community,” he added.

Bawa called for transparency in the selection process, stressing that only spiritually committed and responsible individuals should be chosen.

“We expect a credible and transparent process. Those selected must understand the purpose of pilgrimage and represent the state with dignity.”

He also urged Christians to remain prayerful, law-abiding, and supportive of government policies:

“As believers, we must continue to obey the laws of the land and support initiatives that promote unity and development. We also have a duty to pray for our leaders and the progress of our state,” he said.

Former lawmaker for Kaduna Central Senatorial District, Shehu Sani, also described the resumption of Christian pilgrims’ activities after 11 years as commendable.

Sani, in a post on his X (formerly Twitter) account, said the development reflected the fair and equitable leadership of the incumbent governor, compared with previous administrations.

Continue Reading

News

2027: Tinubu Buying Over Institutions, Non-Performing Governors, Says Ex-Minister, Dalung

Published

on

Spread the love

A former Minister of Youth and Sports, Solomon Dalung has accused the incumbent government of buying over state institutions as well as those he described as non-performing state governors.

He made the allegation at a protest against the Senate’s approval of both electronic transmission and manual collation of election results at the National Assembly on Tuesday.

Speaking during the protest, he said, “Is there anybody that is sidelined in Tinubu’s government? A government that is going about buying people. It has even bought non-performing governors to its side. Where does that government get the concept to sideline?

“A government that is desperately looking for people for endorsement. It has been endorsed by almost everybody. Bandits have even endorsed it. Bandit Turji has registered as a member of APC.

“The governors are defecting. INEC may defect. The Supreme Court will defect. Police will defect. The Army will defect. Is it a desperate government that can sideline anybody? Not certainly, not at all. Is it a credible government that will set the boundaries for people and sideline? But this one that is already sinking, a sinking ship,” he said.

 

Continue Reading

Trending