Connect with us

News

South East leaders willing to negotiate Nnamdi Kanu’s release – Umahi

Published

on

Spread the love

The Minister of Works, Senator Dave Umahi, has dismissed claims that the South East was giving conditions, such as the release of Nnamdi Kanu, to support President Bola Tinubu.

Umahi, who praised Tinubu for his achievements so far, said the South East Geo-political Zone is fully in support of him and will work for his re-election.

Umahi spoke to journalists on Friday night in Lagos, where he dismissed claims that the South East was giving conditions, such as the release of Nnamdi Kanu, to support the President.

“Somebody asked me about Nnamdi Kanu, and I said his matter is not a condition for the South East to support the President.

“We are willing to negotiate his release, but no one should make it a condition because the President did not put him there,” he said.

The minister described Tinubu as a listening leader and expressed faith that Kanu’s release would come through divine grace and dialogue, not through pressure or politics.

He said: “President Tinubu may not be perfect, but he is doing most things right.

“Look at where he picked up the economy from. The international community has confidence in his reforms. That is why we are getting support for our projects.”

Umahi highlighted key infrastructure projects being delivered by the current administration in South East, including the rehabilitation of some roads abandoned by past administrations.

“Let those criticising the president show us what they have done for the country,” he said.

The minister dismissed the allegation that the South East was being sidelined in federal appointments, saying that Tinubu had done more for the geo-political zone than many past leaders.

He called for unity among political leaders, regardless of party affiliation, noting that governors across the South East — including those from opposition parties — were working well with the President.

Umahi told journalists said that he had no intention of contesting for Nigeria’s presidency in 2027.

“I will not run. I will work for my boss, President Tinubu.

“APC is the path to achieving what we want. The South East now has a voice at the centre. We will not return to Egypt,” he said

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

ICPC Confirms Arrest And Detention Of El-Rufai

Published

on

Spread the love

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has confirmed that Nasir El-Rufai, former Governor of Kaduna State, is currently in its custody over an ongoing investigation.

The confirmation was contained in a statement issued just before midnight on Wednesday. The statement was signed by J. Okor Odey, Head of Media and Public Communications and Spokesperson of the Commission.

“The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) writes to state that Malam Nasiru El-Rufai the former Governor of Kaduna state is in our custody. Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the Commission in connection with investigations,” Odey said.

The ICPC did not provide further details about the nature of the investigation or how long the former governor may remain in custody.

 

Continue Reading

News

50 Kaduna Christians set for pilgrimage after 11-year

Published

on

Spread the love

Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the programme.

The Christian pilgrimage scheme was halted during the administration of former Governor Nasir El-Rufai, when the Christian Pilgrims Welfare Agency was scrapped.

The move generated controversy within sections of the Christian community at the time.

Reacting to the development on Wednesday, the Chairman of the Kaduna State chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria, Rev Ma’aji Bawa, commended the governor for what he described as a bold and inclusive decision.

“We are grateful to Governor Uba Sani for approving 50 Christians to commence pilgrimage after 11 years.

“This decision has restored hope and strengthened the confidence of Christians in the state,” Bawa said.

He described the approval as a significant first step, adding, “Although the number is 50 for now, we believe it is a foundation to build upon. We trust that the government will gradually increase the number so more faithful can participate.”

Bawa emphasised that pilgrimage is a sacred spiritual obligation.

“Pilgrimage is not a jamboree. Those going for pilgrimage are embarking on a spiritual journey to seek God’s face. They will pray for peace, unity and development in Kaduna State and Nigeria at large,” the cleric said.

He noted that the restoration of the programme demonstrated the government’s recognition of the role of faith in society.

“This gesture shows inclusiveness and respect for religious diversity. It strengthens the relationship between the government and the Christian community,” he added.

Bawa called for transparency in the selection process, stressing that only spiritually committed and responsible individuals should be chosen.

“We expect a credible and transparent process. Those selected must understand the purpose of pilgrimage and represent the state with dignity.”

He also urged Christians to remain prayerful, law-abiding, and supportive of government policies:

“As believers, we must continue to obey the laws of the land and support initiatives that promote unity and development. We also have a duty to pray for our leaders and the progress of our state,” he said.

Former lawmaker for Kaduna Central Senatorial District, Shehu Sani, also described the resumption of Christian pilgrims’ activities after 11 years as commendable.

Sani, in a post on his X (formerly Twitter) account, said the development reflected the fair and equitable leadership of the incumbent governor, compared with previous administrations.

Continue Reading

News

2027: Tinubu Buying Over Institutions, Non-Performing Governors, Says Ex-Minister, Dalung

Published

on

Spread the love

A former Minister of Youth and Sports, Solomon Dalung has accused the incumbent government of buying over state institutions as well as those he described as non-performing state governors.

He made the allegation at a protest against the Senate’s approval of both electronic transmission and manual collation of election results at the National Assembly on Tuesday.

Speaking during the protest, he said, “Is there anybody that is sidelined in Tinubu’s government? A government that is going about buying people. It has even bought non-performing governors to its side. Where does that government get the concept to sideline?

“A government that is desperately looking for people for endorsement. It has been endorsed by almost everybody. Bandits have even endorsed it. Bandit Turji has registered as a member of APC.

“The governors are defecting. INEC may defect. The Supreme Court will defect. Police will defect. The Army will defect. Is it a desperate government that can sideline anybody? Not certainly, not at all. Is it a credible government that will set the boundaries for people and sideline? But this one that is already sinking, a sinking ship,” he said.

 

Continue Reading

Trending