Connect with us

Politics

Resignation gamble backfires for ex-ministers Adelabu, Tuggar, Alkali

Published

on

Spread the love

The decision by some former ministers of President Bola Tinubu to resign from the Federal Executive Council in pursuit of elective offices ahead of the 2027 general elections appears to be yielding mixed fortunes, with only two securing party tickets so far.

Five former cabinet members stepped down from their positions after the Presidency directed political appointees seeking elective offices to resign before participating in party primaries.

Their resignation was in line with the Electoral Act 2026.

Among those affected were former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Tuggar, who resigned to contest for the All Progressives Congress governorship ticket in Bauchi State; and former Minister of State for Humanitarian Affairs, Yusuf Sununu, who resigned to pursue Kebbi senatorial ticket.

Others are former Minister of Transportation, Saidu Alkali, who resigned to contest Gombe governorship ticket; former Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Nkeiruka Onyejeocha, pursuing House of Representatives ticket in Abia State; and former Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, who resigned to contest the Oyo governorship primaries.

Of the five, only Onyejeocha and Sununu have secured their tickets.

Onyejeocha clinched the APC ticket for Isuikwuato/Umunneochi Federal Constituency in Abia after emerging as an unopposed candidate.

Sununu also secured the APC ticket for Yauri/Shanga/Ngaski Federal Constituency after withdrawing from the Kebbi South senatorial race.

Adelabu, Alkali lost out, Tuggar’s fate hangs

Adelabu, who resigned after the deadline set by the President, had hoped to secure the party’s governorship ticket in Oyo State ahead of the 2027 elections.

The former minister was, however, defeated in the contest by Senator Sarafadeen Alli.

Alli polled 578,143 votes to defeat Adelabu, who got 19,193 votes.

Following the outcome of the exercise, Adelabu alleged manipulation in the primary process, insisting that the election did not reflect the true wishes of party members.

He vowed to challenge the outcome of the election, adding that his team was preparing to petition the party leadership at the national level.

Speaking to journalists during the exercise, the ex-minister said, “In some wards, our people were prevented from voting; they were intimidated, they were chased away violently. And in some wards, voting did not take place at all, but they recorded numbers for them.

“All these kinds of misconduct are not good at this stage of our democracy in Nigeria and something has to be done about it. We are going to write serious petitions against all these things that took place.”

Similarly, former transport minister Alkali failed to secure the APC governorship ticket in Gombe State after boycotting the primary process over alleged irregularities.

Alkali lost to Jamilu Gwamna, who is backed by the incumbent, Governor Inuwa Yahaya.

Gwamna emerged winner of the primary after polling 247,161 votes to defeat Alkali, who polled 11, 612 votes and the former Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Professor Isa Pantami, who scored 12,120 votes.

Alkali had earlier boycotted the primaries over alleged lack of fairness, inclusivity, and credibility.

He also alleged that the exercise lacked the basic hallmarks of a credible democratic process.

While Adelabu and Alkali have lost out in their political bids, the fate of Tuggar hangs in the balance.

His supporters threatened to leave the APC if the party imposed a governorship candidate.

The supporters made their position known on Friday amid speculations that former Bauchi State governor, Muhammad Abubakar, may emerge as the party’s consensus candidate.

Speaking with our correspondent, the Director of Media, Tuggar Foundation, Ibrahim Malam, said members of the movement would not remain in a party where internal democracy was allegedly being undermined.

According to him, the position being canvassed was that of members of the movement and not that of Tuggar himself.

“Regarding this narration of somebody becoming the APC flag bearer who is not competent, somebody who lost an election, we can’t remain in the party where democracy is not practised.

“I’m saying this on behalf of my team, not on behalf of the former minister Yusuf Tuggar. But this is our collective mind with the people coordinating his social media. We cannot support a party where democracy is not being practised,” he said.

Also speaking, a pharmacist and social media influencer, Bello Adamu, popularly known as Elder Karofi, rejected what he described as an attempt to impose a candidate on party members.

Adamu alleged that the reported consensus arrangement in favour of Abubakar amounted to injustice and warned that many supporters of Tuggar might refuse to support the APC if the decision stood.

“We reject this imposition and I don’t think any one of us is going to support anybody if that happens,” he stated.

He further disclosed that consultations were ongoing among supporters on the next political step to take, including the possibility of defecting from the APC to another political party.

Adamu also criticised the former governor’s record in office, insisting that Tuggar remained a more competent option among the aspirants seeking the APC governorship ticket in the state.

Alkali not leaving APC

Speaking with our correspondent, Umar Alkali, the media aide to ex-minister Alkali, clarified that his principal did not withdraw from the governorship race but merely boycotted the APC primary process.

He said, “He (Alkali) is still in the race; he only boycotted the primaries. Given what happened during the previous House of Representatives and Senatorial primaries, after consultations, he deemed it fit to boycott the exercise.”

Alkali explained that many people misunderstood the situation and wrongly concluded that the former minister had withdrawn from the contest.

“He is not withdrawing from the governorship race. This is what most people misunderstood. He is still in the race; he only boycotted the process,” he added.

He also dismissed speculation that the former minister was planning to leave the ruling party, saying “No, he (Alkali) is not quitting the party. He is still in the APC.”

The aide further stated that Alkali remained loyal to the leadership of the APC and the Tinubu-led administration.

Meanwhile, Adelabu has dismissed the outcome of the primary election.

Speaking with  our correspondent,  through his media aide, Femi Awogboro, the former minister said he was unaware of any officially declared result.

“I don’t know what you are talking about. We don’t know of any result because we have not seen any result. The result has not been announced by anybody,” Awogboro said.

Asked whether Adelabu would challenge the outcome of the election or consider leaving the party, Awogboro said, “I won’t be able to say anything as regards that,” he added.

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Youth Party Disowns Court Case Against INEC, Says It Was Unauthorised

Published

on

Spread the love

The national leadership of the Youth Party has disowned a lawsuit filed against the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), insisting that the case was instituted without the approval of its recognised leadership structures.

In a public disclaimer issued on Wednesday and signed by Solomon Oyekunle, the party said the suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/517/2026, titled Youth Party vs INEC, as well as the judgment delivered on May 20, 2026 by Justice M. G. Umar, were not authorised by its National Working Committee (NWC) or any official organ of the party.

The party stated that the individuals behind the legal action acted independently and without a mandate from its leadership.

“We dissociate ourselves entirely from this suit, its proceedings, and the judgment arising therefrom,” the statement read.

The Youth Party reiterated its commitment to complying with the Independent National Electoral Commission’s electoral guidelines and timetable for the 2027 general elections, stressing that it would not resort to litigation against lawful electoral processes.

It added that despite tight timelines, the party would proceed with preparations for its National Convention scheduled for May 23, 2026, and its primaries fixed for May 29, 2026, rather than pursue judicial intervention.

The party further warned that any individual who initiated or pursued the case without authorisation would bear personal responsibility for their actions.

Meanwhile, Justice Mohammed Umar, in the judgment in the suit, restrained INEC from enforcing parts of its revised timetable for the 2027 elections, holding that several deadlines set by the commission were inconsistent with provisions of the Electoral Act, 2026.

The court found that INEC exceeded its legal authority by imposing deadlines that encroached on timeframes guaranteed to political parties under the law.

Counsel in the matter were J. O. Olotu for the plaintiff and Sarafa Yusuf for INEC, while the court issued declarations clarifying INEC’s powers regarding party primaries, candidate submission, substitution, publication of final candidate lists, and campaign regulations.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Ex-Anambra gov candidate emerges AAC senatorial candidate

Published

on

Spread the love

The 2025 governorship candidate of the African Action Congress, in the Anambra State governorship election, Chioma Ifemeludike, has emerged as the party’s senatorial candidate for the Anambra Central Senatorial District ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Ifemeludike, who is also the AAC deputy national chairperson, clinched the ticket through a consensus arrangement during the party’s primary election held in Awka on Thursday.

The exercise was monitored by officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission, with the party’s officials, delegates, aspirants, members, observers and stakeholders in attendance.

Declaring the results, the Returning Officer, Obianuju Aniche, commended party members for their orderly and peaceful conduct throughout the exercise.

Speaking shortly after her emergence, Ifemeludike thanked party faithful for the confidence reposed in her, pledging not to disappoint them.

She restated her commitment to quality representation and vowed to continue fighting for the people and amplifying their voices at the national level.

She said, “I appreciate the party faithful for giving me their consensus acceptance. I promise not to compromise my stand or disappoint them.

“We will not give up on our pursuit of quality representation. The AAC may not boast of massive structures like the ‘bigger’ political parties, but it remains committed to principles and people-oriented governance.

“Yes, we may not be controlling crowds, but one person can effect change. I prefer staying with a few to get things right instead of joining a bigger party and compromising. I am here to prove to the people of Anambra that we cannot continue this way and that there are alternatives.

“Even if they pretend there are none, by the time we get to the bridge, they will appreciate the choice they made.”

Ifemeludike identified vote-buying and “transactional politics” as a major threat to democracy, saying that no matter how a better candidate appears, people will still prefer to be induced because trust is broken.

“Aside from being a politician, I am an advocate, and as one who strongly believes in advocacy and social justice, we will continue to plead with their conscience to consider and value themselves first and see how they can deliver themselves from the wreckage that’s coming.

“One of the biggest and strongest social justice issues that can ever happen to the electorate is mind revolution. Our people need to have a shift in their thinking.

“Unless that happens, nobody can save them, even Peter Obi, Sowore, not even Jesus Christ. People must rise up over the injustice done to them and their children.

“In AAC, we don’t manipulate people. Otherwise, we would be worse than those who induce voters with peanuts. We are here to present our manifesto and allow the people to decide freely,” she added.

She explained that party members unanimously endorsed her based on her track record and leadership experience.

The primary election also produced Agozie Mmotoh as the party’s House of Representatives candidate for Awka North and South Federal Constituency.

With Ifemeludike’s emergence, she is set for a fierce contest against the incumbent senator representing Anambra Central, Senator Victor Umeh, as well as whoever emerges as the candidate of the All Progressives Grand Alliance for the senatorial race

Continue Reading

Politics

Abure, Usman Clash Over Sale Of Nomination Forms

Published

on

Spread the love

The Labour Party has petitioned the Inspector-General of Police and the Department of Security Service over the alleged illegal distribution of nomination forms by a former national chairman of the party, Julius Abure.

The party’s National Chairman, Senator Nenadi Usman, made the allegation while speaking with journalists on the sidelines of the party’s screening of aspirants for primaries on Thursday in Abuja.

Usman said that copies of the petitions written to the IGP and the SSS had also been forwarded to the Independent National Electoral Commission.

She described the alleged circulation of the forms as unlawful, insisting that the leadership elected at the party’s Umuahia convention remained the recognised one.

“We received the news surprisingly. It was a big surprise because after the court said his (Abure’s) tenure was over, we went to Umuahia, held a national convention, and elected new leaders.

“INEC was there and recognised what we did. The names on INEC’s website are those voted for in Umuahia, and then he comes and starts distributing forms,” she said.

Asked if the party had been served with any notice of the appeal, the LP chairman said that the party had yet to be served with any, regarding Mr Abure’s alleged appeal to the Supreme Court.

Usman maintained that the Supreme Court would likely uphold its earlier position on the party’s leadership dispute.

“My take is that the Supreme Court will maintain its stand. If a court says my tenure is over tomorrow, I cannot go back to say it is not over,” she said.

She alleged that some aspirants had been misled into purchasing unauthorised forms.

“One man came here to tell me his wife was contesting, and when I looked at the form, it was not the form we issued. They are deceiving people, and it is not right at all,” she said.

On preparations for the 2027 elections, Ms Usman expressed confidence in the strength of the party, citing the number of aspirants showing interest in contesting on its platform.

“Judging from the number of people indicating interests to use the party as a platform to contest the election, I think the party is still strong,” she said.

The national chairman disclosed that three aspirants had so far purchased presidential nomination forms.

Usman, however, reiterated the party’s decision to zone its 2027 presidential ticket to the South.

“We have decided that our next candidate or flag bearer should come from the South. Anybody from the North who wants to buy forms should not even bother,” she said.

The LP chairman stated that the party was considering a consensus arrangement, assuring Nigerians that the eventual primaries would be transparent.

“We are hoping for consensus, but we are going to screen really well because to lead this great country, we need the best. Whoever emerges after the screening and primaries, I assure you it will be free and fair,” she said.

Usman also expressed confidence in Nigerians’ ability to choose credible leaders during the 2027 general elections.

On whether she had any misgivings about the party’s success at the 2027 general elections, Ms Usman said, “I am not afraid because I know power belongs to God, and Nigerians will come out to choose who they want to lead them

Continue Reading

Trending