Connect with us

Politics

Abure, Usman Clash Over Sale Of Nomination Forms

Published

on

Spread the love

The Labour Party has petitioned the Inspector-General of Police and the Department of Security Service over the alleged illegal distribution of nomination forms by a former national chairman of the party, Julius Abure.

The party’s National Chairman, Senator Nenadi Usman, made the allegation while speaking with journalists on the sidelines of the party’s screening of aspirants for primaries on Thursday in Abuja.

Usman said that copies of the petitions written to the IGP and the SSS had also been forwarded to the Independent National Electoral Commission.

She described the alleged circulation of the forms as unlawful, insisting that the leadership elected at the party’s Umuahia convention remained the recognised one.

“We received the news surprisingly. It was a big surprise because after the court said his (Abure’s) tenure was over, we went to Umuahia, held a national convention, and elected new leaders.

“INEC was there and recognised what we did. The names on INEC’s website are those voted for in Umuahia, and then he comes and starts distributing forms,” she said.

Asked if the party had been served with any notice of the appeal, the LP chairman said that the party had yet to be served with any, regarding Mr Abure’s alleged appeal to the Supreme Court.

Usman maintained that the Supreme Court would likely uphold its earlier position on the party’s leadership dispute.

“My take is that the Supreme Court will maintain its stand. If a court says my tenure is over tomorrow, I cannot go back to say it is not over,” she said.

She alleged that some aspirants had been misled into purchasing unauthorised forms.

“One man came here to tell me his wife was contesting, and when I looked at the form, it was not the form we issued. They are deceiving people, and it is not right at all,” she said.

On preparations for the 2027 elections, Ms Usman expressed confidence in the strength of the party, citing the number of aspirants showing interest in contesting on its platform.

“Judging from the number of people indicating interests to use the party as a platform to contest the election, I think the party is still strong,” she said.

The national chairman disclosed that three aspirants had so far purchased presidential nomination forms.

Usman, however, reiterated the party’s decision to zone its 2027 presidential ticket to the South.

“We have decided that our next candidate or flag bearer should come from the South. Anybody from the North who wants to buy forms should not even bother,” she said.

The LP chairman stated that the party was considering a consensus arrangement, assuring Nigerians that the eventual primaries would be transparent.

“We are hoping for consensus, but we are going to screen really well because to lead this great country, we need the best. Whoever emerges after the screening and primaries, I assure you it will be free and fair,” she said.

Usman also expressed confidence in Nigerians’ ability to choose credible leaders during the 2027 general elections.

On whether she had any misgivings about the party’s success at the 2027 general elections, Ms Usman said, “I am not afraid because I know power belongs to God, and Nigerians will come out to choose who they want to lead them

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Ex-Anambra gov candidate emerges AAC senatorial candidate

Published

on

Spread the love

The 2025 governorship candidate of the African Action Congress, in the Anambra State governorship election, Chioma Ifemeludike, has emerged as the party’s senatorial candidate for the Anambra Central Senatorial District ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Ifemeludike, who is also the AAC deputy national chairperson, clinched the ticket through a consensus arrangement during the party’s primary election held in Awka on Thursday.

The exercise was monitored by officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission, with the party’s officials, delegates, aspirants, members, observers and stakeholders in attendance.

Declaring the results, the Returning Officer, Obianuju Aniche, commended party members for their orderly and peaceful conduct throughout the exercise.

Speaking shortly after her emergence, Ifemeludike thanked party faithful for the confidence reposed in her, pledging not to disappoint them.

She restated her commitment to quality representation and vowed to continue fighting for the people and amplifying their voices at the national level.

She said, “I appreciate the party faithful for giving me their consensus acceptance. I promise not to compromise my stand or disappoint them.

“We will not give up on our pursuit of quality representation. The AAC may not boast of massive structures like the ‘bigger’ political parties, but it remains committed to principles and people-oriented governance.

“Yes, we may not be controlling crowds, but one person can effect change. I prefer staying with a few to get things right instead of joining a bigger party and compromising. I am here to prove to the people of Anambra that we cannot continue this way and that there are alternatives.

“Even if they pretend there are none, by the time we get to the bridge, they will appreciate the choice they made.”

Ifemeludike identified vote-buying and “transactional politics” as a major threat to democracy, saying that no matter how a better candidate appears, people will still prefer to be induced because trust is broken.

“Aside from being a politician, I am an advocate, and as one who strongly believes in advocacy and social justice, we will continue to plead with their conscience to consider and value themselves first and see how they can deliver themselves from the wreckage that’s coming.

“One of the biggest and strongest social justice issues that can ever happen to the electorate is mind revolution. Our people need to have a shift in their thinking.

“Unless that happens, nobody can save them, even Peter Obi, Sowore, not even Jesus Christ. People must rise up over the injustice done to them and their children.

“In AAC, we don’t manipulate people. Otherwise, we would be worse than those who induce voters with peanuts. We are here to present our manifesto and allow the people to decide freely,” she added.

She explained that party members unanimously endorsed her based on her track record and leadership experience.

The primary election also produced Agozie Mmotoh as the party’s House of Representatives candidate for Awka North and South Federal Constituency.

With Ifemeludike’s emergence, she is set for a fierce contest against the incumbent senator representing Anambra Central, Senator Victor Umeh, as well as whoever emerges as the candidate of the All Progressives Grand Alliance for the senatorial race

Continue Reading

Politics

I’m in talks with NDC, PRP leaders over my political future — Kwankwaso

Published

on

Spread the love

Former Governor of Kano State, Rabiu Kwankwaso has said no final decision has been taken regarding his political future or that of his associates.

The African Democratic Congress chieftain, however, admitted that he is currently consulting with leaders of the National Democratic Congress and the Peoples Redemption Party.

Kwankwaso made this known in a statement shared on his X account on Saturday.

He wrote, “We have noted recent media reports and discussions suggesting a possible realignment within the African Democratic Congress (ADC) due to the current challenges facing the party.

“In light of the misleading narratives in the public domain, I wish to state categorically that no final decision has been taken regarding my political future or that of my political associates.”

He noted that the recent Supreme Court’s judgment affirmed the legitimacy of the David Mark-led National Working Committee but returned aspects of the matter to the high court, leaving the party in a difficult position.

“The recent Supreme Court judgment, while affirming the legitimacy of the David Mark-led National Working Committee (NWC), also remitted the matter back to the High Court. This has left the party in a precarious position,” he said.

According to him, a separate ruling by the Federal High Court had also invalidated the party’s recent convention, while the Attorney General of the Federation had applied for the deregistration of the ADC.

Kwankwaso said the challenges mirrored the legal issues that earlier forced him and his supporters out of the New Nigeria Peoples Party.

“In addition, the Federal High Court has recently ruled to delegitimise the party’s recent convention. The Attorney General of the Federation has also strangely applied to a Federal High Court to deregister the ADC.

“We left the NNPP due to externally influenced legal problems that made our stay perilous. The ADC has now been also forced into this difficulty,” he added.

He disclosed that consultations had begun with leaders of the National Democratic Congress, Peoples Redemption Party and others to determine the best path forward.

“Consequently, like other major stakeholders, we have commenced wide-ranging consultations — including with leaders from the NDC, PRP and others to explore the best options for protecting our democratic interests. We shall announce our decision in the soonest possible time,” he added.

On the 2027 presidential race, Kwankwaso said he had neither declared interest in contesting nor endorsed any aspirant.

He recalled finishing second in the 2014 APC presidential primary won by Muhammadu Buhari, and later supporting the winner. He also said he contested the 2019 PDP presidential primary before backing Atiku Abubakar.

He said, “On the issue of presidential candidacy, I wish to recall my consistent record as a committed democrat. In the 2014 APC presidential primary, I came second to President Muhammadu Buhari (whom I fully supported to victory), with Atiku Abubakar third, Rochas Okorocha fourth, and the late Sam Nda-Isaiah fifth.

“Similarly, in 2019, I contested the PDP presidential ticket and immediately supported the winner, His Excellency Atiku Abubakar, serving as the campaign’s coordinator in the North. I have always placed national interest and party unity above personal ambition.”

Kwankwaso added that the ADC had yet to zone its presidential ticket or choose a candidate, making current speculation unfounded.

He also explained that his absence from two recent ADC stakeholders’ meetings was due to unavoidable personal commitments, which he had communicated to party leaders.

“Furthermore, the ADC is yet to zone its presidential ticket or take any decision on a candidate. I have therefore neither declared any intention to run for president nor endorsed any aspirant. All speculations to the contrary are premature and unfounded.

“My absence from the two recent ADC stakeholders’ meetings was due to unavoidable personal commitments. I promptly communicated my apologies to the party leadership.

“We shall continue to engage constructively at all levels. Any definitive position on our political direction will be communicated formally through official channels at the appropriate time,” he said.

Continue Reading

Politics

Workers’ Day: ADC criticises rising living costs

Published

on

Spread the love

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has expressed concern over the rising cost of living in Nigeria, saying it is placing increasing pressure on workers and affecting real incomes.

In a Workers’ Day statement signed by its National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, the party said many Nigerians are facing economic strain as prices of essential goods and services continue to rise.

“Across Nigeria today, workers are doing more and earning less. Rising costs of food, transport, housing, and energy have reduced the value of workers’ wages,” the statement said.

The party linked the situation to broader economic and security challenges, noting that inflation, limited job opportunities, and disruptions to business activities are contributing to the pressure on households.

According to the ADC, addressing these challenges requires policies that support job creation, improve security, and stabilise prices to protect workers’ purchasing power.

The party emphasised the need for an economic framework that promotes enterprise, encourages productivity, and ensures that workers are adequately rewarded for their labour.

It also called for sustained interventions to ease the burden on citizens, particularly in areas affecting daily living costs.

“The focus should be on building an economy that works for ordinary Nigerians, where productivity translates into improved livelihoods,” the statement added.

The ADC reiterated its position that workers’ welfare should remain a priority, stressing the importance of policies that enhance income stability and economic opportunity.

 

Continue Reading

Trending